Who We Are
The Obedience Club of Chattanooga is a non-profit organization offering affordable training classes to the public. Advanced classes are also offered for the serious performance dog competitor.
Sign up for classes with the OCC!
Sign ups are Sunday, January 5th, from 1pm till 3pm at the OCC training building in Flintstone, GA.
We'll be offering:
- Our newest class is AKC Canine Good Citizen Advanced. To earn the title of CGCA, your dog must be registered with an AKC number, PAL, or AKC Canine Partners number and already have a CGC award/title on record. Dog must pass all 10 of the following items: stand, sit, or lie down and wait under control while owner fills out paperwork, has a snack, or visits with someone; walks on a loose leash in all circumstances; does at least a 30 second sit stay on leash beside owner; allows a person carrying something to approach, stop, put the item on the floor/ground, and pet the dog; leave food alone on the floor following owner's "leave it" command; does down or sit stay on a 20' line; comes when called on a 20' line with distractions present; and waits while owner goes through a doorway. The AKC charges the owner a $20 fee to process submitted paperwork upon successfully passing the test.The OCC charges $10 for non members who are not in the therapy dog class/ advanced canine good citizen class.
- New agility classes for fun and exercise. In FUN CIRCLES you'll be doing tunnels, hoops, jumps, tire, chute, and beginner weaves. The next class, FUN CONTACTS, will include the A-frame, dog walk, teeter, and table as well as obstacles from Fun Circles. In FUN COURSES, you'll be doing easy, short courses using all the obstacles.
- Therapy Dog class. This class prepares those dogs at least one year of age to be evaluated for the TDI test. This test requires unflappable manners while standing in line to register for the test, allowing all four feet to be handled and ears and tail examined, remaining calm while handler is out of sight doing paperwork, and visiting with a patient or a group of strangers. Obedience work will include loose leash heeling in unusual situations and a reliable recall(come), sit, down, and stay. Dog must leave it when instructed about something on the floor or in a person's hand. This prospective therapy dog must be comfortable around wheelchairs, crutches, walkers, skateboards, bicycles, vacuum cleaners, loud noises, etc., as well as people running up from behind them and children as close as ten feet running, yelling, and playing. TDI charges $12 for the test and $40 to register after passing the test. OCC charges $10 for non members who are not in the therapy dog class.
- AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. A new program from the American Kennel Club that is designed to get new puppy owners and their puppies off to a great start by socializing (S) your puppy with other puppies, by training (T) you how to best communicate with your puppy, by teaching you about the amount of exercise and activity (A) your puppy needs, and by teaching you how to be a responsible (R) puppy owner. After completing our AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy class and passing the 20-step AKC S.T.A.R. puppy test, you will receive from AKC an AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Certificate, an AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal, a spot in the official AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records, an AKC Puppy Handbook, and a monthly email newsletter.
- Obedience classes for puppies (just like kids, puppies have to be taught manners)
- Obedience classes for dogs (you can teach old dogs new tricks)
- Agility classes for dogs (great activity you and your dogs look forward to--especially good for herding breeds and dogs who have endless energy)
- AKC Canine good citizen. An American Kennel Club certification program that is fun, useful, and creates a stronger bond between you and your dog. It trains your dog to act mannerly at home, in public places, and with other dogs.
Our training building is heated and air conditioned. It is located at: